[texbirds] Saturday, 2-16

  • From: Dan Smith <dan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds Maillist <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2013 18:36:17 -0600

This morning I started by birding the Central Park Pond area for a few minutes
after breakfast. I then went over to the NE section of my patch and, beginning
at the Walnut Creek Wastewater Treatment Plant birded by car and getting out
and walking some, an area bounded by Johnny Morris Road, Old Manor Road, Loyola
Drive, Crystal Brook, Pecan Brook, and a short stretch of Springdale Road. The
area contains varied habitat including riparian woods along Walnut Creek in the
Park, where I found a band of 8 Wood Ducks and a nice flock of sparrow that
included Fox, White-throated, and White-crowned, Carolina Wren (2), and a
Sharp-shinned Hawk. Along Daffan Gin Road/Daffan Lane, where there are
agricultural fields, I had Northern Harrier and a Ferruginous Hawk. I had gone
over that area in hope of finding an unusual raptor or two that had drifted
down with the norther. Worked out nicely. There were several Ring-necked Ducks
at Central Park and Red-winged Blackbirds as well.
I should note that I am in Austin.

I also have a question. If I post to the local patch group on Facebook, what do
I have to do to get it to show up on Texbirds as well?

Dan Smith
dan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
512-451-2632
http://www.wordsmithofaustin.com