[texbirds] Santa Ana NWR October 27 - 87 species

  • From: Sunny <sunny_phillips@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2012 07:44:20 -0700 (PDT)

There were 7 excellent birders that participated in the Santa Ana National
Wildlife Refuge birding walk Saturday.  We birded at Headquarters Pond, Willow,
Pintail (morning and afternoon) and Cattail Lakes, the entrance to the Refuge
and in the visitor's center parking lot. One rare find was a pair of Wood Ducks
at Cattail.  We also saw 3 Javelina at Pintail Lake.  It was an exciting day
for our guest from South Africa as he added many life birds to his list.  We
had 87 species for the day.

Sunny Phillips, Volunteer, Santa Ana National Wildlife Refuge.

Black-bellied Whistling-Duck  40
Wood Duck  2 (Vibrant Male and 1 female; all 7 birders identified, with shock,
the pair of wood ducks; 3 were duck hunters that are now bird watchers.)
Gadwall  36
American Wigeon  16
Mottled Duck  14
Blue-winged Teal  30
Northern Shoveler  12
Northern Pintail  10
Green-winged Teal  12
Redhead  2
Ring-necked Duck  8
Ruddy Duck  1
Plain Chachalaca  12
Least Grebe  30
Pied-billed Grebe  11
Great Blue Heron  2
Great Egret  1
Snowy Egret  6
Tricolored Heron  4
Yellow-crowned Night-Heron  1
White Ibis  1
White-faced Ibis  8
Roseate Spoonbill  1
Black Vulture  3
Turkey Vulture  7
White-tailed Kite  1
Northern Harrier  6
Sharp-shinned Hawk  1
Cooper's Hawk  1
Harris's Hawk  6
Red-shouldered Hawk  1
Gray Hawk  1
Common Gallinule  2
American Coot  50
Killdeer  4
Black-necked Stilt  7
Spotted Sandpiper  2
Greater Yellowlegs  3
Least Sandpiper  20
Long-billed Dowitcher  20
Wilson's Snipe  2
Rock Pigeon  1
Eurasian Collared-Dove  4
White-winged Dove  9
Mourning Dove  7
Inca Dove  4
Common Ground-Dove  2
White-tipped Dove  6
Greater Roadrunner  2
Great Horned Owl  1
Common Pauraque  3
Belted Kingfisher  1
Golden-fronted Woodpecker  15
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker  2
Ladder-backed Woodpecker  4
Crested Caracara  2
American Kestrel  3
Peregrine Falcon  1
Eastern Phoebe  4
Brown-crested Flycatcher  2     (commonly seen at Santa Ana NWR)
Great Kiskadee  7
Scissor-tailed Flycatcher  4
Loggerhead Shrike  1
White-eyed Vireo  5