[texbirds] Santa Ana NWR, 8/15/13

  • From: antshrike1@xxxxxxx
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2013 15:09:02 -0400 (EDT)

Even though Willow and Pintail Lakes are dry, I found plenty of birds to keep
me busy this morning at Santa Ana NWR.  It was a great day to study empids with
16 least Flycatchers, six Yellow Bellieds and five Alders.  Warblers included a
Yellow-throated, two Yellows, five Black-and-whites and a Yellow-breasted Chat.
 Photos are on my newly resurrected blog.
http://antshrike.blogspot.com/2013/08/santa-ana-nwr-81513.html
Santa Ana National Wildlife Refuge, Hidalgo, US-TX
Aug 15, 2013 8:00 AM - 12:00 PM
Protocol: Traveling
3.0 mile(s)
Comments:     tour road and Pintail Lake loop
54 species (+2 other taxa)

Black-bellied Whistling-Duck  6
Plain Chachalaca  10
Great Blue Heron  3
Great Egret  1
White Ibis  2
Turkey Vulture  2
Harris's Hawk  2
Spotted Sandpiper  2
Upland Sandpiper  1
Least Sandpiper  5
White-winged Dove  80
Mourning Dove  5
Inca Dove  7
Common Ground-Dove  5
White-tipped Dove  5
Yellow-billed Cuckoo  1
Groove-billed Ani  7
Common Nighthawk  1
Common Pauraque  1
Ruby-throated Hummingbird  1
Ruby-throated/Black-chinned Hummingbird  1
Buff-bellied Hummingbird  1
Golden-fronted Woodpecker  12
Ladder-backed Woodpecker  6
Yellow-bellied Flycatcher  6