[texbirds] Sandpiper Taxonomy

  • From: Connie Madia <cm4thebirds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Tex Birds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2014 20:27:45 -0500

Hi, Tony,
I just finished the November, 2013 ABA pub "Birder's Guide to Listing and
Taxonomy" yesterday.  It reports on the AOU's Committee on Classification
and Nomenclature of North and Middle American Birds supplement to its
checklists.  On page 64 it lists some changes to the"oddball sandpipers"
(who would surely object, I imagine, if they could read).  Buff-breasted
and Ruff, along with Surfbird, Spoon-billed and Broad-billed sandpipers
were placed in *Caldris* and removed from their former monotypic genera.

If you can't get a copy of this pub or aren't an ABA member, email me and
I'll send it to you.  I'd rather recycle it to you than to the library.

Connie Madia
Birder and Half-time RVer
Currently: Kyle, Hays County, TX