[texbirds] Re: Sandhill Cranes

  • From: Ervin Fleming <endersgt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "robertjbecker@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <robertjbecker@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Texbirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2015 17:28:49 -0700

There is another option to the circling behavior. I've only seen it a few
times. I saw a kettle of hawks spread out on a line at least a half mile wide.
They were scouting for thermals. One of the hawks encountered one and the whole
kettle flew over and jumped on the elevator. This free ride allows them to
glide great distances until they encounter another. This sawtooth pattern
minimizes their energy output. Geese and hawks are the only birds I have seen
do this in my limited experience.
Tom Fleming
Grand Prairie

On Friday, March 13, 2015 6:16 PM, Robert Becker <robertjbecker@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

Today at 4:30 pm I saw and heard a flock of 100-200 Sandhill Cranes flocking
northbound over Resaca de la Palma State Park in Brownsville, Cameron County.
The cranes were at a high altitude but appeared to be circling, perhaps looking
for a place to rest and re-fuel.

Bob Becker
Rancho Viejo