[texbirds] Sanderlings and Ruddy Turnstones feeding together like chickens

  • From: MBB22222@xxxxxxx
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2012 23:18:29 -0400 (EDT)

I am sure most of us who visited shore during last several weeks (from
April) noticed unusually large amounts of Sargassum seaweed on beaches. On some
 days a lot more of fresh Sargassum was washed out, on other days piles
were left  to rot (oh yes, one could smell it). As I spent many days on shore
during last  several weeks it was a bonanza of opportunities to make
observations that cannot  be done too often. Finally I could spend many hours
observing terns and gulls  preying on Sargassum fish but I do not have these
photo
ready yet. Today I want  to share an incredible sighting, at least to me.
Shorebirds that usually feed in  lose flocks or even alone and often fight
intruder who wants to feed too close  or inside their territory acted like
chickens. When Sargassum was ‘ripe’ (mean  smell very, very unfresh) large
flocks of Sanderlings and Ruddy Turnstones  (BTW I never saw so many RUTU
before) were feeding together practically without  any conflicts, not serious
ones. Evidently there was plenty of food everywhere  around as feeding groups
were moving like a wave and found plenty of food in all  rotten piles but
they preferred to stay close together and feed together. Most  likely they kept
disturbing prey and kept turning substrate with so many  birds walking
around in small area. The sighting was unbelievable - sort of  like chickens
when farmer throws grains in one spot. Here is a short  video:

 _http://youtu.be/Go7mO-hwbKk_ (http://youtu.be/Go7mO-hwbKk)

Mark B Bartosik
Houston, Texas
_http://www.pbase.com/mbb/from_the_field_