[texbirds] San Bernard NWR CBC Results

  • From: Ron Weeks <ronweeks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2012 20:11:04 -0800 (PST)

TexBirders,
Today was the 28th annual San Bernard NWR CBC.  We tallied an unofficial total
of 194 species with the best birds reported (documentation not yet fully
reviewed) being: Tropical Kingbird (1st for count), Scissor-tailed Flycatcher
(2nd), Western Kingbird (3rd), 2 Bronzed Cowbirds (3rd and record high), Surf
Scoter (3rd), Black-headed Grosbeak (3rd), Ruby-throated Hummingbird (4th),
Couch's Kingbird (4th) and 4 Red-breasted Nuthatches (4th and record high).

Passerines were generally tough to come by with Wilson's Warbler missed for the
first time since 1999.  The one Palm Warbler was the lowest total since 1985
(first year of the count) and the one Ash-throated Flycatcher was the lowest
since 1999.  The 5 Brown Thrashers were the lowest since 1986.  By contrast, we
had record highs for Ruddy Duck (407 all from one area), Pied-billed Grebe
(327), Crested Caracara (60), Stilt Sandpiper (12) and Marbled Godwit (12).  In
general fresh water was scarce with the exception of Wolfweed Reservoir which
had exceptional waterbird numbers.

The highlight of the day was as always the seafood gumbo at the countdown
dinner
made possible by Phillips 66.

Good CBC Birding,

Ron Weeks