[texbirds] San Bernard NWR CBC A Washout

  • From: Ron Weeks <ronweeks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TexBirds TexBirds Posting <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 20 Dec 2014 05:17:26 -0800

TexBirders,
Yesterday, the birders on the San Bernard CBC endured a very rainy day.  The
most outstanding total was the 3.22 inches of rain that fell at the refuge -
good for the habitat.  It made it nearly impossible to bird for most of the
day. There was no canoe, no airboat, no beach run and no sea watch possible.  I
normally recount record highs and lows on the bird counts.  This year we set
record highs for vehicles stuck and broken down:  one flat tire, one fuel pump
failure, one fender bender, and one tow back to town.  One car is still out
there in the mud!  We did manage to find 169 species both Black and Yellow
Rails, Short-eared Owl, Fox Sparrow, Solitary Sandpiper, and Bronzed Cowbird.
The most unusual bird reported was an American Golden Plover still in (or
mostly in) breeding plumage.

Good Drying,

Ron Weeks
Lake Jackson