[texbirds] San Bernard Christmas Bird Count Reminder - Friday December 19th

  • From: Ron Weeks <ronweeks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 7 Dec 2014 07:33:38 -0800

TexBirders,
Just a reminder on the San Bernard CBC coming up Friday after next.  If you
decide to come last minute, just show up at the refuge headquarters on CR306 at
0630 on the morning of the count.  We have lots of places available and birders
of all experience levels are welcome.

Ron Weeks
Lake Jackson

San Bernard NWR (TXSB): Friday,
December 19, 2014
This unique count provides
opportunities to bird areas of the refuge not normally open to the public,
including the Bludworth tract along Cocklebur Slough and the nearby McNeill
tract which boasts the official state champion Live Oak. Also open for counters
is the state's Nannie Stringfellow Wildlife Management Area. We have rail buggy
slots open for those hoping to see Yellow and possibly even Black Rails. This
count also claims some of the best hospitality around with the refuge staff
providing an air boat, rail buggy, and 4WD trucks. We will have our historic
chef, Ron Bisbee, heading up the team cooking the famous countdown dinner of
seafood gumbo! Although this count still provides the small count atmosphere,
it
has plenty of big count diversity with 190 or more species most years. Contact
the co-compilers Ron Weeks (ronweeks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx or phone
evenings 979-299-0066) and Jennifer Wilson (jennifer_wilson@xxxxxxx or phone
daytime 979-964-4011) to sign up.