[texbirds] Salineno - NEW FWS feeding station!

  • From: Mary Gustafson <live4birds@xxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 8 Dec 2012 13:13:02 -0500 (EST)

I woke up early, so I headed to Salineno to see what was up - there have been
no recent positive reports of Red-billed Pigeon or Muscovy Duck.  I did not see
either species, but enjoyed as always a calm peaceful and birdy morning on the
Rio.  The Gray Hawk was calling and perched nearby, all three Kingfishers put
in an appearance, and I found a great feeding station on the FWS tract south of
the boat ramp with lots of birds dropping in.  Volunteers for FWS are providing
food twice a day (before 8 and at lunch).  I'm sure donations are welcome, I
just don't  know the best way to get the donations to the volunteers.  Stay
tuned on that.

The tranquility of the morning was broken by border patrol airboats and the
hee-hawing as I read the bulletin board at the gate to the Valley Land Fund
tracts.  The signage there indicates that the VLF tract is closed with no
access, contra a recent newspaper report in the Monitor.

Magnus Lake had a lot of Bufflehead but nothing rare, and I didn't see much of
interest on Falcon Lake but didn't hang out long.

It's great to be home to the valley!

Mary Gustafson
Mission, Texas