[texbirds] Sabine Woods & Nightjar ID help

  • From: Graham Floyd <spcgraham.floyd@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Texbirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 2 Nov 2013 19:19:47 -0500

Sabine Woods was dead apart from mosquitoes late this afternoon, so I tried
out my new scope at Sea Rim State Park hoping for an early Northern Gannet
to fly by.
Returning to Sabine Woods at 6:50pm I doused myself in bug spray and heard
a distant Great Horned Owl.  I flushed something that was either an owl or
nightjar, and later either a Chuck-will's-widow or Eastern Whip-poor-will
flew straight at me and banked in front of me, close enough to know it
wasn't a Nightawk.  I have only seen Chuck's twice before and Eastern
Whip-poor-will would be a lifer.  I heard neither in the last 20 minutes
there.  Can I safely call this a Whip due to the late date?  I can't pull
up the line graphs on my useless iPad, but know that Chuck's have not been
reported here in over a month and Whip's have been flushed during the day
in recent weeks.  Pretty lame way to call a lifer IMO. :/

Graham Floyd,
San Antonio, TX