[texbirds] Sabine Pass American Tree Sparrow Follow-up

  • From: Ron Weeks <ronweeks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2014 19:55:59 -0800

TexBirders,
Have posted some shots of the American Tree Sparrow from Sabine Pass on my
Flickr account.  https://www.flickr.com/photos/58107870@N07  The bird was very
cooperative preferring to forage on the edge of Pilot Station Road (right on
the "pavement").  It was the easiest of the sparrows to see - others present
were Lincoln's, Swamp, Seaside, Grasshopper, White-crowned, Field, and
Savannah.  This area is often good for sparrows after a frontal passage as the
birds overshoot and often fly back into land when it gets light.  This bird was
hanging around in the last quarter mile of salt cedars that border the road.  I
believe it was seen until late afternoon, but it is hard to say if the bird
will overnight.  These overshoot birds often redisperse inland after a few
hours or even a few minutes.  Pilot Station Road is along the Sabine River near
its mouth.  One goes straight at the four-way stop in Sabine Pass.  It takes
two 90 degree turns and gets very bad near
 its end.  One could argue it is now a high clearance only road in spots, but I
made it with a Ford Focus today (bottomed out twice - thank goodness it was a
rental).

Good Birding,

Ron Weeks
Lake Jackson