[texbirds] SPI Convention Center + Laguna Atascosa NWR (04/29/13)

  • From: "Rex Stanford" <calidris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "TEXBIRDS" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2013 23:20:33 -0500

Yesterday (Monday, 04/29/13) we, joined by Erik Breden, birded the South
Padre Island Convention Center (SPI CC, morning, roughly 10:30 AM - 12:30
PM) and then Laguna Atascosa National Wildlife Refuge (LANWR, ca. 2:30 -
6:10 PM, birding the Visitor Center area, including trails between there and
Lakeside Drive, plus intensive birding on the Bayside Wildlife Drive). We
provide only highlights here.

SPI CC: Avian species here might seemed somewhat down in number from what we
found
on our Thursday (04/25/13) visit during the intensive-fallout period, but
not by much, and we found two species that we had not found on the 25th. The
numbers of the various species were, for the most part, down substantially,
but this was a help in locating particular species, because of the reduction
of what might be termed visual (or avian) "noise." Many happy
birders/photographers enjoyed the abundance of birds at SPI CC yesterday,
and because there were many fewer such observers present yesterday this, at
times, made it easier to get a good view of what one wished to see (or
photograph) than had been the case on the 25th.

It is not easy task to convey the impression of the wonderful experience
yesterday at the SPI CC, but we begin with a list of 20 warbler species seen
by at least one of our group, but usually by all three of us: AMERICAN
REDSTART; BLACK-AND-WHITE; BLACKBURNIAN (1 male); BLACKPOLL (at least 1 male
and 1 female); CAPE MAY (1 male; 1 female); CHESTNUT SIDED; COMMON
YELLOWTHROAT; HOODED (males and females); KENTUCKY (many and very
approachable); MAGNOLIA; NASHVILLE; NORTHERN PARULA (males and females);
NORTHERN WATERTHRUSH (1, at least); OVENBIRD; PROTHONOTARY (at least 1 male
and 1 female); SWAINSON'S (1, amazingly confiding); TENNESSEE (almost
everywhere, and the dominant species at the yellow-fence-top become bird
feeder); WORM-EATING (1, and not easy to find); YELLOW; and YELLOW-BREASTED
CHAT (1, brief appearance atop fence-top feeder).

A species of special interest was the regional rarity, BOBOLINK (3). One or
two of these \were heard to sing from atop a tree, sometimes at length.
They tended to stay in the southwest area near the picnic table. Hearing the
exuberant, bubbling, tinkling voice of this eye-catching species was a
special joy and welcome surprise for those of us who had for years not heard
that lovely sound and did not expect to hear it here. PAINTED BUNTINGS were
not difficult to find, and INDIGO BUNTINGS were commonplace. Both
Summer and Scarlet Tanagers were not difficult to find. A special thrill for
many,
though, was the eagerly sought Cape May Warbler, and both a male and a
female obliged by putting in appearances at the fence-top bird feeder. The
female was easily confusable with the female Blackpoll Warbler if one did
not notice the yellow rump and the absence of dark streaks on the back. In
the Special Event category was the seemingly scheduled (12:00 noon) extended
life-and-death battle, right out on the circular loop road, between a huge
spider (possibly a female Giant Wolf Spider) and a female Scarlet Tanager.
The tanager, after some minutes, won this exciting battle, which was
witnessed by perhaps a dozen birders who might themselves have been eagerly
awaiting a quite different form of mid-day repast but who stayed on to
witness the struggle. To close this episode on a more mellow note, three
handsome thrush species were found without special effort, a handsome,
brightly colored VEERY, SWAINSON'S THRUSH, and GRAY-CHEEKED THRUSH.  The
Wood Thrush of the past Thursday was not re-found, but we made up for that
on
the final leg (LANWR) of our Monday birding. One of the most gratifying
sights of the day there was when Scarlet Colley, witnessing the plight of an
Indigo Bunting who had lost all its tail feathers (presumably to a predator)
and who was literally and, seemingly, psychologically "dragging its tail,"
immediately delivered to it handfuls of bird seed. It eagerly took advantage
of them. Just what it needed for a start on a growing new tail! The sight of
Scarlet's attentive kindness brought a special joy to our visit.

LANWR (at or near Visitor Center and Bayside Wildlife Drive): The area with
benches at the front of the Visitor Center yielded KENTUCKY WARBLER (1),
NORTHERN WATERTHRUSH (1), along with its delightful regulars, OLIVE SPARROW,
CHACHALACA (several), GREEN JAY (several), NORTHERN CARDINAL (both a bright
male and a female), and a typically very laid-back WHITE-TIPPED DOVE. We
should not fail to mention our first-of-season entertaining encounter with a
male BRONZED COWBIRD. Near the water feature it sat upon a rock puffing out
its head and neck and holding its wings up off its back in something of an
invited avian embrace, a feathery rendition of "Come to me, lady, the most
handsome red-eyed guy you've ever seen!"  Erik, noticing its readiness to
perform, spoke a request, "Come on! Give us the helicopter!" That command
having
been voiced, it commenced fierce vibration of those stubby blackish wings,
but was rewarded only by the laughter of its well-entertained audience, and
no Bronzed Cowbird lady presented herself to be enticed. We anticipate
further performances of this kind at this location, so if you want to see
"The Helicopter" you know who is ready to provide the show. Late in the day,
in a visit to the wooded area immediately north of the visitor center, the
area near the picnic tables, Erik spotted two end-of-day visually gratifying
birds, a WOOD THRUSH and a  bright, male SUMMER TANAGER, and managed to get
the undersigned on both.

Our travel on the Bayside Wildlife Drive (BWD) yielded, at the outlet of
Pelican Lake, SOLITARY SANDPIPER (1), WILSON'S PLOVER (1), SANDERLING (1),
WILLET (2), and DUNLIN (ca. 60, many having considerable breeding plumage).
In terms of shorebirds, along this drive we found additional Dunlin and
Willet, plus BLACK-BELLIED PLOVER (3, 1 in lovely high breeding plumage),
and SHORT-BILLED DOWITCHER (several), many with considerable attractive
breeding
plumage. The only warbler on the drive was a YELLOW WARBLER at the outlet of
Bayside Lake, along with the most splendidly plumaged of the Short-billed
Dowitchers on this trip. Before finishing the drive we had EASTERN WOOD
PEWEE (1) plus a handsome sitting WHITE-TAILED HAWK and the ubiquitous
HARRIS'S HAWK. The wished-for NORTHERN ROADRUNNER (1) put in its appearance
just in time before we exited the BWD.

The rain had helped, but considerable more is needed to show this wonderful
refuge at its best.

Wishing everyone excellent spring-migration birding,
Rex and Birgit Stanford
McAllen, TX