[texbirds] Richland Creek WMA North Unit

  • From: D D Currie <ddbirder@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 17 Aug 2014 17:11:48 -0500

Dell and I spent about 2 hours at Richland Creek WMA North Unit this
morning.  In 2 hours, we probably only covered about 1/4th of the entire
area.  All birds were seen in Navarro County unless otherwise noted.  Most
shorebirds were seen in Cell 17. Water has been added to Cell 21 which was
good last weekend.....not good today.  We did not make it to Cell 10 that
was good last weekend.  Still LOTS OF WADERS not completely accounted for
below.
Blue-winged Teal - 50
Anhinga - 10
American White Pelican - 40 (Freestone)
Black-necked Stilt - 14 Freestone; 5 Navarro
Solitary Sandpiper - 4
Greater Yellowlegs - 1
Lesser Yellowlegs - 2 Freestone
Stilt Sandpiper - 153
Baird's Sandpiper - 6+
Least Sandpiper - 10
Pectoral Sandpiper - 12+
Semi-palmated Sandpiper - 20
Western Sandpiper - 4
SHORT-BILLED DOWITCHER - 1 (by call)
Long-billed Dowitcher - 50+
Wilson's Phalarope - 200+

Other interesting birds:

Wood Stork - 45 Freestone; 5 Navarro
Tricolored Heron - 10 Freestone
White Ibis - 200 Freestone
White-faced Ibis - 8 Navarro
Roseate Spoonbill - 4 Navarro; 21 Freestone (3 pairs attempting to nest)
Black Tern - 18

Just a reminder - you need a Limited Public Use Permit to enter the WMA.
These can be purchased anywhere you can buy a hunting or fishing license.

D. D. Currie
Arlington, TX