[texbirds] Resaca de la Palma State Park - Saturday eBird Report

  • From: Sherry Wilson <rollingsoles@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Texbirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 27 Oct 2012 17:13:35 -0600

The morning started out slow and chilly.  The best find was a small flock
of startled Scissor-tailed Flycatchers that had roosted near the Ebony
Deck.  (Yesterday we saw over 100 on the wires along New Carmen just out of
the park.)

Later in the day the sun was out and Black-throated Green Warblers were
seen in good numbers.  Orange-crowned are definitely back.  House Wrens,
too, and after seeing so few last winter the wrens are a welcome sight.  A
few new ducks were seen at the Kiskadee Deck.  Overhead we heard and saw
our FOF Sandhill Cranes.

--
Sherry Wilson
Resident Park Host

Bird Walks every Saturday - 8:30 a.m. - 11:00 a.m.
Butterfly Walks every Sunday - 1:30 p.m. - 2:30 p.m.
Night Hikes every Friday (must RSVP by 5:00 p.m. Thurs)  - small fee
Nature Tram Rides - Thursday thru Sunday

http://www.facebook.com/resacadelapalma

DIRECTIONS:  The main entrance to Resaca de la Palma State Park is located
on New Carmen Blvd. From Expressway 77/83, exit at Olmito, take FM 1732,
follow for 2.5 miles; turn left at New Carmen Road; follow for 1.5 miles;
shortly after the gravel hump in the road, turn left to enter the park.

*Learn how you can help Texas State Parks:*  http://bit.ly/sVdilb
49 species
Mottled Duck 6
Blue-winged Teal 8