[texbirds] Resaca de la Palma State Park - Saturday Bird Walks

  • From: Sherry Wilson <rollingsoles@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Texbirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Oct 2013 16:20:06 -0500

Saturday morning.  We leave from the Visitor Center at 8:30.  I didn't make
it out to the south side this morning, but unless we have more rain, on
Saturday morning we'll be checking on the Least Grebe chicks at the
Hunter's Lane resaca.  Hope you'll come join us.
This morning a Northern Waterthrush was near the first bridge and a small
warbler flock was near the start of South Mexican Olive trail with
Wilson's, Nashville and Black & White warblers.  A single Scissor-tailed
Flycatcher, two Great Crested Flycatchers and one Eastern Wood-Pewee were
other migrants.

There are still a few Groove-billed Anis around.  This morning they were in
the brush pile near the start of Mesquite Trail.

Sherry Wilson
 Resident Park Host
Resaca de la Palma State Park
1000 New Carmen Road
Brownsville, TX  78521
956-350-2920

*Bird Walks* Saturday:  8:30 a.m. - 11:00 a.m.
*Butterfly Walks* Sunday:  1:30 p.m. - 2:30 p.m.
*Night Hikes* last Friday of the month (RSVP by 5:00 p.m. Thurs)  - small
fee
*Nature Tram Rides*:  Thursday thru Sunday
(Visitor Center closed Mon/Tues/Wed)

http://www.facebook.com/resacadelapalma

 32 species:
Plain Chachalaca 4
Great Blue Heron 1
Great Egret 1
Little Blue Heron 2
Turkey Vulture 2
Red-shouldered Hawk 1
White-winged Dove 13
Mourning Dove 2
Groove-billed Ani 7
Buff-bellied Hummingbird 1
Golden-fronted Woodpecker 5
Eastern Wood-Pewee 1
Great Crested Flycatcher 2 one calling near SMO trail, excellent views of
tail and throat of the other as it caught and killed a dragonfly near
maintenance road
Great Kiskadee 9
Couch's Kingbird 5
Scissor-tailed Flycatcher 1