[texbirds] Resaca de la Palma State Park - Purple Gallinule Yesterday, Least Bitterns and Singing Cassin's Sparrows Today

  • From: Sherry Wilson <rollingsoles@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Texbirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 19 May 2012 11:52:47 -0600

A Purple Gallinule was seen yesterday but not today.  What we found this
morning at the Hunter's Lane resaca were at least three Least Bitterns,
Green Herons, and an Osprey overhead.  On the walk out we located two
White-eyed Vireo families with newly fledged young.  We heard others.
Cassin's Sparrows are now singing and were heard along Coyote Trail.  A
single Verdin was seen, another heard.  The Altamira Oriole nest over the
entrance road has been sounding pretty lively every time a parent arrives
with food.  The young should be leaving the nest before long.
--
Sherry Wilson
Resident Park Host

Bird Walks every Saturday - 8:30 a.m. - 11:00 a.m.
Butterfly Walks every Sunday - 1:30 p.m. - 2:30 p.m.
Night Hikes every Friday (must RSVP by 5:00 p.m. Thurs)  - small fee
Nature Tram Rides - Wednesday thru Sunday

http://www.facebook.com/resacadelapalma

DIRECTIONS:  The main entrance to Resaca de la Palma State Park is located
on New Carmen Blvd. From Expressway 77/83, exit at Olmito, take FM 1732,
follow for 2.5 miles; turn left at New Carmen Road; follow for 1.5 miles;
shortly after the gravel hump in the road, turn left to enter the park.

*Learn how you can help Texas State Parks:*  http://bit.ly/sVdilb

4.25 mile(s)
42 species (+3 other taxa)
Black-bellied Whistling-Duck  3
Mottled Duck  1
Plain Chachalaca  7
Neotropic Cormorant  3
Least Bittern  3
Green Heron  3
Yellow-crowned Night-Heron  2
White Ibis  1
Black Vulture  1
Osprey  1
Cooper's Hawk  1
Crested Caracara  1
Common Gallinule  3
Laughing Gull  2
White-winged Dove  18
Mourning Dove  10
Inca Dove  2
Common Ground-Dove  1
White-tipped Dove  1
Yellow-billed Cuckoo  5
Groove-billed Ani  11
Buff-bellied Hummingbird  2
Golden-fronted Woodpecker  5
Ladder-backed Woodpecker  1
Eastern Wood-Pewee  1
Empidonax sp.  3
Brown-crested Flycatcher  3
Myiarchus sp.  1
Great Kiskadee  5
Couch's Kingbird  3
Tropical/Couch's Kingbird  2
Eastern Kingbird  1
White-eyed Vireo  8     young are out of the nest
Green Jay  9
Black-crested Titmouse  4
Verdin  2
Northern Mockingbird  14