[texbirds] Resaca de la Palma SP - Sunday Hawk Migration

  • From: Sherry Wilson <rollingsoles@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Texbirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 6 Apr 2014 18:23:02 -0500

This afternoon, shortly before the 3:30 nature tram, we started seeing
Broad-winged Hawks from the butterfly gardens, moving south for the most
part.  Within ten minutes the numbers increased and they began grouping and
kettling up.  There were a very few Mississippi Kites flying low and not
part of the larger kettles that I could see - only a few Turkey Vultures in
that mix.  There were also many Barn Swallows moving in all directions with
many going south and east.  I'm sure there were many more swallows than I
reported.  The cool north breeze and lower humidity was very short-lived
and by the end of the tram tour the humidity was starting to rise again.
Sherry Wilson
Resident Park Host
Resaca de la Palma State Park
956-350-2920

*Nature Walks *Friday:  9:30 a.m. - 10:30 a.m.
*Bird Walks* Saturday:  8:30 a.m. - 10:30 a.m.
*Butterfly Walks* Sunday:  1:30 p.m. - 2:30 p.m.
*Night Hikes* last Friday of the month (RSVP by 5:00 p.m. Thurs)  - small
fee
*Nature Tram Rides*:  Wednesday thru Sunday
(Visitor Center closed Mon/Tues)
http://www.facebook.com/resacadelapalma

Turkey Vulture  20
Mississippi Kite  5