[texbirds] Resaca de la Palma SP - Groove-billed Anis and more

  • From: Sherry Wilson <rollingsoles@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Texbirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2013 15:56:02 -0600

Things have been so quiet in recent days that it was tempting to wait until
after the cold front arrived to check on the south end of the park.  I was
glad curiosity won this morning.  All our birds were active, vocal and
visible.  I saw more Long-billed Thrashers and Cardinals than I've seen in
a long time, and the first Bobwhites I've seen in ages.
Four Groove-billed Ani were active at the far SE end of Quail Loop.  While
I watched they moved about 50 yards, to the corner.  They were still in the
same spot when Dick came out for photos, and later when the park
interpreter came for a look.
As I write now, a few hours later around 3:30 PM, four of us have just
finished watching thousands of Turkey Vultures stream overhead, and
immediately after felt the first blast of cool air.
  Sherry Wilson
Resident Park Host
Resaca de la Palma State Park
956-350-2920

*Bird Walks* Saturday:  8:30 a.m. - 11:00 a.m.
*Butterfly Walks* Sunday:  1:30 p.m. - 2:30 p.m.
*Night Hikes* last Friday of the month (RSVP by 5:00 p.m. Thurs)  - small
fee
*Nature Tram Rides*:  Thursday thru Sunday
(Visitor Center closed Mon/Tues/Wed)
http://www.facebook.com/resacadelapalma

 3.6 mile(s)
Comments:     Warm with only a light breeze, strong cold front due to
arrive later today
53 species

Gadwall  9
American Wigeon  4
Blue-winged Teal  12
Ruddy Duck  2
Plain Chachalaca  4
Northern Bobwhite  8     flushed 3 on Quail Loop, 5 crossed the tram road
at Hunter's Lane
Least Grebe  2
Great Blue Heron  1
Great Egret  3