[texbirds] Red-throated Loon at Benbrook Lake and Other Good Birds

  • From: "D D Currie" <ddbirder@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2013 18:50:01 -0600

Dell Little and I led a field trip of the North Central Texas Master Birders
Class to Benbrook Lake today. We had a great day with one of the highlights
being a Red-throated Loon seen at 9:15am from Longhorn Park near the dam. Eared
and Horned Grebes as well as an immature Herring Gull were also seen from this
location.
Other highlights included a Merlin at Mustang Park and another Merlin seen off
Winscott Plover Road. We also had 2 Prairie Falcons off Winscott Plover Rd.
Ending the day, we had a Rough-legged Hawk off CR 918 in Johnson Co. (this is
near the end of Winscott Plover Rd).

We tried for Short-eared Owls early this morning off of Aledo Rd., but saw
none. Grasses at the historically good SEOW locations along Aledo Rd. seemed to
be mowed or chewed down to the nubs. We did have a Great-horned Owl, though.

Bird numbers in general were down. Passerines were scare at all locations. All
this despite recent rains and noticeably moist terrain.

Observers included: Diane Berk, Walt Berk, Sheryl Barker, Ron Baughman, Paul
Crowe, Janie Henderson, Patricia Jordan, Shannon Love, Julie Mobley, Jane
Ramberg, Sahar Sea, Susan Thrower, Susan Tiholiz.

D. D. Currie

Arlington, TX