[texbirds] Red-throated Loon & Lesser Black-backed Gull at Lake Tawakoni

  • From: Richard <rdkrsh@xxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, robert.haynes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, ross.rasmussen@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 3 Feb 2013 14:14:10 -0500 (EST)

I went back to Lake Tawakoni to look for the Red-throated Loon. It took 2 tries
to relocate it. The bird was not at the public boat ramp near Holiday Marina
early in the morning but at 11:45 this morning I did see it back toward the
dam. It was diving a lot and was far out on the lake near a small flock of
Common Loons and a massive flock of gulls, terns, cormorants and pelicans. I
got very lucky and had the Lesser Black-backed Gull feeding with the huge flock
of birds on the lake. Also the Harlan's Hawk was back near Holiday Marina and
sadly was spooked by some photographers both times I was there. It was close to
the road why was it necessary to pull off the road to look at it and photograph
it.

Not only were there large number of Double-crested Cormorants feeding on the
lake.  About 100 or Neotropic Cormorants were roosting along Holiday Marina.
Also present on this part of lake: 2 adult Bald Eagles, 3 Crested Caracaras and
a hunting Northern Harrier. I also flushed several sparrows in the high grass
outside Holiday Marina, one which was a very cooperative LeConte's Sparrow.

At Lake Tawakoni State Park Snow Geese were northbound in fair numbers.  Also
present were good numbers of Pine Warblers, Orange-crowned Warblers.  There
were also thousands of Double-crested Cormorants flying by the State Park and
good numbers of White Pelicans were present.

Richard Kinney
Edgewood, TX