[texbirds] Red-necked Grebe again, Lake Balmorhea

  • From: "Susan Heath" <sheath@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Jan 2014 21:27:42 -0600

TexBirders,

We spent a good deal of the afternoon at Lake Balmorhea again today. We
once again saw the Red-necked Grebe very near the dam in the afternoon. We
also saw a gull that I think is the California Gull but we only saw it in
flight briefly. I've sent photos to a couple of people to try to confirm
the id. If anyone else saw that gull and wants to see my fuzzy photos, let
me know and I'll send them. We stayed late watching the gulls and ended up
adding a couple of species we didn't see earlier in the day, two female
Common Mergansers, a Barn Owl that we spooked up from the road as we were
heading out from the backside of the lake, and a large flock of mixed
Brown-headed Cowbirds and Brewer's Blackbirds. A complete list is below.

I meant to also include that we found a Sagebrush Sparrow on CR 315 north
of I-10 both yesterday and today.

Sue

Susan A. Heath, Ph.D.
 Avian Conservation Biologist
 Gulf Coast Bird Observatory
 103 W. Hwy 332
 Lake Jackson, TX 77566
 979-480-0999
 Join us in our quest to study and conserve birds and their habitat around
the Gulf of Mexico.
 www.gcbo.org
 Sign-Up for our monthly E-News Letter
http://www.gcbo.org/default.aspx/MenuItemID/205/MenuGroup/Home.htm