[texbirds] Red-naped Sapsucker seen Wednesday 2/11/15 at San Jacinto Battleground State Park

  • From: Kathleen Joy <kathleen.joy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2015 23:20:22 -0800

We saw the Red-naped Sapsucker in the Live Oak tree at marker 15 in San Jacinto
Monument Battleground State Park at 3:55 earlier today.  We heard the bird
"drumming" for a good 15 minutes before actually seeing it.  Followed the bird
to several different trees before it posed giving us a straight on back view
clearly showing the red nape.  All told we viewed the bird for 12 minutes
before it disappeared into the woods.
Kathleen & Alex Ybañez
New Caney, TX
Montgomery County