[texbirds] Red Phalarope

  • From: Dennis Shepler <dawgler@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 5 Dec 2013 15:38:48 -0600

Howdy Texbirders,
I did find the Surf Scoter, in Galveston, at the corner of Schaper and
Caroline.  I could not relocate the Red Phalarope at Moccasin Pond, San
Bernard NWR.  Had two Cinnamon Teal and an adult Bald Eagle at Wolfweed
Marsh.  Of interest, due to the mowing of pasture land on the P Farm, on FM
2004, there were ten White-tailed Hawks and one Red-shouldered present.
 Many other good, but expected, birds in my travels this morning.
I would appreciate comments on the hawk photo.  It's behavior was
"different".  I was out in a field on the refuge.  Seemed larger than a
Cooper's, but a long tailed bird.  Buteo?
Thanks to all.
Dennis
West Houston
Harris County