[texbirds] Red Knot at El Jardin Beach, Harris County

  • From: mark kulstad <kulstad@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2015 22:29:25 -0500

Letha Slagle found a Red Knot at El Jardin Beach around noon today. It is a
very rare bird in Harris County.
Responding to the eBird alert, I drove out and refound it on the beach at about
6:30 p.m. It was at first near the south end of the beach, but when bathers
scared it away, it flew to the north end of the beach, with sanderlings and
western sandpipers. Around sunset all the shorebirds flew off the beach.

I took some photos, but Letha has better ones. The fine scaly patterning would
indicate a juvenile bird.

https://flic.kr/p/yYmW3o <https://flic.kr/p/yYmW3o>

Mark Kulstad