[texbirds] Re: Recent Hepatic Tanager reports

  • From: mitch@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: gcwarbler@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2014 13:05:23 -0700

Hi all,

I just want to underscore Chuck's comment.  Many Summer Tanagers here
around
Utopia show dark gray bills.  It is normal.  And as Chuck says generally
the improession one gets from books is that pale bill = Summer Tanager
and dark bill = Hepatic.  Which is false.  Often upon close scrutiny
many here will show a dark bill with pale horn along cutting edges of
both
maxila and mandible.  But at any distance the bill looks all dark on
countless Summer Tanagers here.  It is a lead grayish color usually,
but pending light, may look black.

Mitch Heindel
Utopia