[texbirds] Range expansion of Olive Sparrow

  • From: "Rhandy Helton" <rjhelton@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 May 2012 10:55:22 -0500

We documented our first Olive Sparrow in Kimble County (Junction area) about 3
years ago and have had 1, maybe 2 each spring since. One area where I was
getting the bird (CR 140 toward Telegraph) burned in the big fire last year.
Right now I know of 5 different birds that I have observed or are singing on
territory. Four are at the state park and all in thick, brush, mesquite type
areas. I have heard one bird in brush near the entrance to the Texas Tech
campus. Listen for the "bouncy-ball" call and don't be confused with all the
Field Sparrows singing whose song also has some resemblance to bouncy ball at
the end.

The single sludge pond at the Wastewater Facility continues to hold a few
migrant shorebirds. On Monday 5/21 I had estimated 25 White-rumped Sandpipers
and this a.m. I counted 10, 1 American Golden Plover and 2 Pectoral Sandpipers.
A few Baird's Sandpipers are also around. Zone-tailed Hawk is anywhere between
town and the park in late morning through early afternoon. Lots of Painted
Buntings at the bird blinds at the state park.
Rhandy J. Helton
Junction, Tx.