[texbirds] RGV birds on Sunday

  • From: "Judy Kestner" <jkestner@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 6 May 2013 09:42:51 -0500

On Sunday morning I left the Girl Scouts' Camp Bayview and headed for
Brownsville.  That morning I had birded for a few minutes in Bayview and was
stumped by a grey-brown warbler foraging in mid-story in the trees.  It had
a bold eye ring and one (that I saw) bold wing bar, but what stood out was a
buffy-ish collar that went all the way around the back of the neck.  Anyone
have a guess?  Answer at the end of this post.

On the way to Sabal Palm I took a wrong turn and found myself at Old Pt.
Isabel Rd. so I decided to look for an Aplomado Falcon.  Got one in about
two minutes and watched it half-heartedly chase a Crested Caracara and a
Turkey Vulture.  Also seen were four Long-billed Curlews the flew back and
forth across the road and four Scissor-tails squabbling on a fence and then
I went on to Sabal Palm.

Found the Masked Duck asleep near a Least Grebe nest, and then went back to
the feeding station and ogled the birds:  Orioles of all kinds, Northern
Bobwhites, Olive Sparrows, Clay-colored Thrushes, White-tipped Doves -- you
get the picture.  And then the bee-you-tee-full Crimson-collared Grosbeak
came to eat an apple.  S/he would pull off a chunk with skin attached, chomp
off the flesh and let the skin fall.  Was that the freshest, juciest flesh
under the skin?  And the body of this bird was really greener than the olive
color as it is described.  Might have been the low light in the shade.

The weather was wonderful, tho the guy from N.C. was guzzling Gatorade by
the jugful.

Identity of mystery bird above, I believe, was a female Bay-breasted.  That
collar really threw me for a loop -- haha.

Judy Kestner
Calallen (NW Corpus Christi)