[texbirds] RFI Valley Jan vs March

  • From: "" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "Alamoinn" for DMARC)
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 27 Nov 2015 14:46:37 -0500

I agree with Clay and with Brush. Both January and March can be excellent
months. Clay's details are excellent. Brush's point is the key, what birds
do you seek? For first time visit to the Valley Jan and the first half of
March would be a great introduction to its birds.

We have had tour groups visiting in March regularly for years and they are
very pleased with what they find. The dividing line for March in mid month.
The first half of March offers late wintering birds that are gone by mid
month. The second half of the month really is early spring with some raptor
migrants showing up and a few early spring migrants, but Valley residents
are in breeding mode and less obvious than when feeding in winter flocks.
Salineno usually closes its feeders between March 20 and 25, with its client
birds well declined by then.

January can be an exciting birding month for wintering and resident birds.
We are currently in the midst of El Ninjo and during these wet years
January is wetter, more cloudy, and cooler, making some birding days
challenging, though still productive.

Experienced birders like to visit the Valley throughout the year at
different times to see all it has to offer.

Keith Hackland
Alamo, Texas