[texbirds] RFI: Granger and Bull Creek -- Sunday 17th

  • From: Elliott Gordon <tengalloncat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TexBirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2013 13:46:11 -0600

First,
https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF&msa=0&msid=210985060929414795905.0004d5935ee56b3461985is
the link for a map I've created. Anyone can edit. If you have
sightings
from 2013 relating to Owls, Whooping Cranes, or other birds of interest
(longspurs, Mountain Plovers, sparrows, etc.), please add the locations.
Thank you.
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF&msa=0&msid=201748594462774681225.0004d5f0994787a404e02
This morning was absolutely gorgeous. I went down to Bull Creek, near the
dog park.
First, does anyone have experience here during April and May? The point I
labeled as "Migration?" has some big oaks that, along with the creek, seem
like good habitat.
Near the parking lot, the birds were a lot of fun to watch. A
Golden-fronted Woodpecker was attending to a cavity in an oak, a pair of
Red-bellies to another, and a Carolina Chickadee was working hard on a
small cavity of its own. 14 of the species I saw were in that area.
The other highlight was by the bridge and office buildings: a
Red-shouldered Hawk perching and a Field Sparrow calling (bridge), Downy
Woodpecker, and a load of American Goldfinches and Cedar Waxwings (offices).

Elliott M. Gordon
Austin, TX