[texbirds] RED-TAILED HAWK CHASING PIGEONS IN Tex. Med. Center

  • From: Mira M Pellerin <mirampellerin@xxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2013 22:01:19 -0500 (EST)

While waiting for my neurologist to make my 9:30 AM appointment (still not in
by 12:30 PM), I was watching the gray sky on the south side of the UT
Professional Building when I saw a large flock of pigeons flush from the top of
a building (Methodist Hosp.?) across Fannin St.  As I was looking, a large
raptor swooped out from the same location as the pigeons, kiting and hovering
above the "rats with wings", as my granddaughter calls them.  I was hoping that
the raptor was a Peregrine Falcon, but it was a Red-tailed Hawk. It was
unsuccessful in catching any birds, although I am not sure that was it's
intent.

But, the sighting certainly lifted my spirits, making my 4 hour long wait for
the doc easier to bear.

Mira M. Pellerin
Pearland