[texbirds] Quintana to High Island 9/21

  • From: John Tharp <jlt290@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2012 22:00:54 -0500

I spent the entire day birding along the coast. Managed 113 species
although looking at my records it wasn't nearly as good as it was this time
last year. Highlights from the various locations are below. Plenty of Cave
Swallows on the move today and seemingly a little bit of an uptick in
warbler movement. Wilson's Warblers were showing the biggest push with 20
or so total for the day.

Quintana -
Lesser Black Backed Gull - 2
Merlin - 2
R.C. Kinglet
Clay Colored Sparrow - 1

Bay Ave. Surfside -
The usual assortment of shorebirds and waders.

Surfside Beach -
Lesser Black Backed Gull - 4
Wilson's Plover - 1
Piping Plover - 4
Snowy Plover - 6

New(?) Nature Trail just west of San Luis Pass-
Long Billed Curlew
Wilson's Warbler - 4
Tennessee Warbler
Nashville Warbler
Least Flycatcher
Eastern Kingbird

Lafitte's Cove -
Good numbers of shorebirds on the wet areas out front.
Warbling Vireo
White Eyed Vireo
Brown Thrasher
R.C. Kinglet
Least Flycatcher
Eastern Pewee
Northern Parula - 4
Tennesse Warbler - 3
Wilson's Warbler - 8
Magnolia Warbler - 3
Black and White Warbler - 4
Blue Winged Warbler - 1
American Redstart - 3
Chestnut Sided Warbler - 1
Baltimore Oriole
Orchard Oriole
Blue Grosbeak

High Island-
Peregrine Falcon
Broad Winged Hawk
Cooper's Hawk
Olive Sided Flycatcher
R.C. Kinglet
Brown Thrasher
Magnolia Warbler - 4
Nashville Warbler - 5
Tennessee Warbler - 3
Wilson's Warbler - 6
American Redstart 5
Blue Grosbeak

Also decided to stop by Smith Point on my way back to Houston. Nothing
exciting other than 3 Olive Sided Flycatchers and 1 Northern Flicker.

Good Birding,

John Tharp
Houston, TX