[texbirds] Quintana to Galveston yesterday, migrants at last

  • From: Joseph Kennedy <josephkennedy36@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 4 Texbirds Maillist <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2014 19:23:07 -0500

I started on the Quintana beach at dawn hoping for some seabirds. The only
birds seen were strings of adult only brown pelicans heading east. They
were in small groups early (20 or so) with several groups in sight at one
time. A little later they were in larger more spaced flocks but all went
east. None were feeding or sitting. No ducks or herons seen.
The beach was sort of empty and the recent winds had made some areas hard
to drive and others were such that my car turned around and went back. Most
of the snowy plover flock was missing and I only found 13 birds with no
males. Some were in heavy molt
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/154895651

There were a couple of black-bellied plovers and some very early
sanderlings. They left early. There were 13 gulls including a beautiful
dark backed lesser black-backed gull.

There were good numbers of horned larks along the way. Ike and the drought
sure created good habitat for them. They were feeding in a manner I have
not seen before. They would pull little sticks out of the sand, toss them
and then look for seeds in the disturbed sand.
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/154895644

http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/154895645

They can make good mystery birds when the face is hidden
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/154895646

The only common migrant about was brown-headed cowbirds. They flocks were
mainly male birds who were displaying to each other
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/154895655

They are handsome birds
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/154895656

Lots of bowing
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/154895657

But some females were off on territory and following a female cardinal.
They appear often on what bird is that pages
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/154895653

Driving along the berm toward Neotropic, a group of meadowlarks had a
couple of singing western meadowlarks just west of Cortez street. I think
that these are my first of the winter or at least since new years day.

The two refuges were full of cowbirds but almost no grackles. A total of 3
white-eyed vireos, a Wilson's warbler, several yellow-rumped warblers and
swamp sparrows.

If it is spring, there are purple martins on the houses
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/154895662

Got down to the jetty and there was a large flock with large diving birds
off the end feeding over porpoises. I headed out there and by the time I
got to the end, the birds were further away than when I started. Must have
been lots of good stuff. No gulls or terns at the base.

Heading north, the pond along the storm levee had about 250 ruddy ducks and
several greater scaup. Drove the Follett Island beach from entrance 1 to 6
and had a few gulls including 1 grayer backed lesser black-back but not
much else. Brazoria county has barricaded the beach pond on the southwest
corner of San Luis Pass and put up protect piping plover signs. No plover
yet. A side road had a couple of eastern willets up in screaming
territorial flight for my first of the spring. Lots should be in within a
week.

Lafitte woods had a few birds. Several northern parulas came by and 3
headed further east on the island from the northeast corner. I did not see
the phoebe, woodpecker or oriole. Male black and white warblers and
white-eyed vireos were also about. A male peacock was a new bird for the
site and a large? swift passed overhead. At least it seemed large but it
did not even hang around for binoculars. Maybe a week early.

Northern parula posed
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/154895731

http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/154895729

But when taking pictures the best shot goes bad when a bird turns its head
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/154895726

or shakes its head
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/154895728

Black and white warblers were creeping
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/154895722

http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/154895718

Settegast road had guinea hens and white-tailed kite. I looked for curlew
all day but only had ones with long bills which is still good. Many of the
wet areas have dried since this winter especially out on the sand flats.
But the birds are coming but its hard to be patient after this winter.

--
Joseph C. Kennedy
on Buffalo Bayou in West Houston