[texbirds] Quintana - few hundred Franklinâs Gulls, Red-breasted Nuthatch, more

  • From: MBB22222@xxxxxxx
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2012 21:50:00 -0400 (EDT)

During Saturday (Oct 20) large flocks of Franklinâs Gulls shown from time
to time in various places along shore at Quintana. I usually saw 50-100
birds  and thought that that is it. Later afternoon at one time a few hundred
flew in  one longish flock. On beach were also Laughing Gulls, American
Herring (adult  and juvenile birds), Ring-billed (adult an juvenile birds) and
dozen+ Lesser  black-backed. BTW week ago there was 2 dozens+ LBBGs in just in
one spot (first  time I had this year all age groups from juveniles to
adults).

I could not fit Franklinâs Gull flock in frame so here is just small part
of it:
_http://www.pbase.com/mbb/image/146881518_
(http://www.pbase.com/mbb/image/146881518)

And single birds
_http://www.pbase.com/mbb/image/146881511_
(http://www.pbase.com/mbb/image/146881511)

Including juvenile
_http://www.pbase.com/mbb/image/146881515_
(http://www.pbase.com/mbb/image/146881515)

At noon I stopped at sanctuary to kill time during bad light hour and when
sitting on the bench a few birds showed up including one Red-breasted
Nuthatch  ,and also Magnolia Warbler, Indigo Bunting (females), Common
Yellowthroat, Gray  Catbird, American Redstarts, Ruby-crowned Kinglet plus few
flycatchers and usual  birds. There was no light to take photos but I took a
couple
of nuthatch just  for record.

_http://www.pbase.com/mbb/image/146881509_
(http://www.pbase.com/mbb/image/146881509)