[texbirds] Quintana AM Birds September 27th

  • From: Ron Weeks <ronweeks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2012 19:05:50 -0700 (PDT)

TexBirders,

Spent the first hour of the day on the tower at Quintana watching the birds
wake
up.  I challenge myself to record 40 species in that hour without leaving the
tower but today I failed to reach that total.  But I did have a few interesting
birds.  Best were:

White-crowned Sparrow immature - 27 Sep is the earliest ever for the Upper
Coast
somewhat surprisingly

Groove-billed Ani - bird has been present most mornings over the last week,
today was harassing the cowbirds perched in a dead live oak

Mourning Warbler - my first from 20 feet directly above, hard to ID from the
top
but call notes gave it away

Swainson's Hawk - one flew within 10 feet of the tower at my eye level, watched
it fly right to me, very cool

Peregrine Falcon - regular on the railings of the LNG tank railings if you now
where to look

Good Birding,

Ron Weeks
Lake Jackson