[texbirds] Quinta Mazatlan (Western Tanager)

  • From: MiriamEagl@xxxxxxx
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 5 Oct 2013 16:38:38 -0400 (EDT)

Hi, all!

Subject bird was the most interesting sighting this morning (unfortunately
could not get a decent documentation shot)!  Pat Heirs and Marie Stuart
joined me to get a little birding in before the scheduled butterfly walk with
John Brush, and by getting there bright and early we had several good
feeding  flocks of warblers, the most interesting of which was a
Yellow-throated.
 A  Summer Tanager called in the same area we had the Western later (when
you go up  the entrance road, you take the first trail to the right, which
winds back  towards the west and then curves around the property), and we were
very  impressed with the new life-like statuary of the big cats!
Chachalacas  were all over, of course, but we were surprised that we didn't
hear or
see any  members of the parrot family, as this is usually a good place to get
them!   Clay-colored Thrushes were out the yin yang (we almost got
clobbered by a couple  chasing each other), and had good looks at both species
of
thrashers.  No  sign of the Blue Jay or American Robin, but a gentleman named
Steve at the new  pond had a female Green Kingfisher, which was new for my
Quinta list!   Along the entrance road John pointed out a snoozing Screech
Owl, but we  apparently unwittingly flushed the Pauraque that hangs out
there...

Around ten we meandered over to the front of the grand house for the butter
 walk, which I'll post to the Butterfly Listerv, but the lep highlight was
the mob of Red-bordered Pixies in the parking lot, and the ode highlight
was  several Caribbean Yellowfaces at the pond!

Photos from this morning are posted here:

http://miriameaglemon.com/photo_gallery/2013%20Field%20Trips/October/Quinta%
20Mazatlan.html

Bird List:

Quinta Mazatlan WBC (LTC 063), Hidalgo, US-TX
Oct 5, 2013 7:24 AM -  11:15 AM
Protocol: Area
8.0 ac
37 species (+1 other taxa)
Plain  Chachalaca  15
White-winged Dove  20
Inca Dove   6
Eastern Screech-Owl  1
Chimney Swift   1
Ruby-throated/Black-chinned Hummingbird  2
Buff-bellied  Hummingbird  5
Green Kingfisher  1
Golden-fronted  Woodpecker  6
Ladder-backed Woodpecker  3