[texbirds] Puerto Rico Route & Hargill Playa (longish)

  • From: "" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "MiriamEagl@xxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 3 Aug 2014 19:31:46 -0400 (EDT)

Hi, all!

I wanted to try out a new road-birding route in northern Hidalgo County
that runs west along FM 1017 and then loops through the little area of Puerto
Rico before dumping out at 1017 again; starting at the intersection of 1017
and  FM 3250, it made for a nice 22 mile route, although you had to beware
of the big  rigs barreling down the main road occasionally.  The habitat is
primarily  thornscrub with some open grassy areas (mesquite savannah?) and
had the birds to  match (lots of Caracaras, Verdins, Bewick's Wrens,
Bobwhite, Pyrrhuloxias,  etc.), but the highlight was a singing Audubon's
Oriole!
In a way I wasn't  too surprised because I regularly encounter them when I
take the back way to  Laredo (Ramirez is the first 100-mile stop going that
way, and they're  almost always a given there), and since the song sounded
kinda weak to my ears,  I wondered if it could have been a dispersing youngster
just learning to  sing.  Had one male Painted Bunting hop up along the
road, which was very  nice, and the "nyehs" of the Orchard Orioles were
occasionally audible.

The loop around Puerto Rico is a dirt road, and in many ways was the
birdiest area of the loop:  if anyone had to see a Roadrunner or they were
gonna
die, I'd send them here, as they were out the yin yang!  Several
Groove-billed Anis made a showing, Upland Sandpipers flew overhead, and a young

White-tailed Hawk was nice.  A herd of five Turkeys leisurely crossed the
road,
and I ran into at least two big families of Bobwhites!  Three  Bullock's
Orioles were a treat, and at one stop several birds were mobbing  something
(probably a snake, but I couldn't find it):  several Curve-billed  Thrashers,
a couple of Mockingbirds, at least one Bewick's Wren, and some Green  Jays
were part of the fray.

Took about three and a half hours to do that, so I headed over to Hargill
after that, where several other birders had set up shop and announced that
the  Collared Plover was there earlier but they hadn't been able to refind
it.   But as if on cue the little bugger came in and started chasing a Snowy
Plover,  putting on a great show, and next to a Wilson's to boot for a good
comparison!  I didn't know any of the other birders, but Byron Stone and
Randy Pinkerston (hope I spelled that right, Randy! :-P) introduced
themselves,  and Byron was kind enough to let me see the bird through his
scope, which
showed  every detail, including the kiss of cinnamon on the head!  What a
look!  There were plenty of other birds there, including the white morph
Reddish Egret, but I'm sure I missed some stuff (the guys saw at least one
dowitcher and some other terns and shorebirds that I never got on); the heat
waves were terrible, and I think most everyone was starting to melt despite
the  endorphin rush, so I called it quits right around noon.  Ended up with
65  species for the morning.

Pictures and recordings (including of the Audubon's Oriole) are posted
here:

http://miriameaglemon.com/photo_gallery/2014%20Field%20Trips/August/Puerto%2
0Rico%20Route.html

Bird List:

  Black-bellied  Whistling-Duck          Dendrocygna  autumnalis
Northern  Bobwhite                      Colinus virginianus
Wild  Turkey                            Meleagris gallopavo
Great  Egret                            Ardea alba
Snowy  Egret                            Egretta thula
Tricolored  Heron                       Egretta tricolor
Reddish  Egret                          Egretta rufescens
  Cattle Egret
Turkey  Vulture                         Cathartes aura
Harris's  Hawk                          Parabuteo unicinctus
White-tailed  Hawk                      Geranoaetus albicaudatus
Black-necked  Stilt                     Himantopus mexicanus
Collared  Plover                        Charadrius collaris
Snowy  Plover                           Charadrius nivosus
Wilson's  Plover                        Charadrius wilsonia
Killdeer                               Charadrius vociferus
Upland  Sandpiper                       Bartramia longicauda
Least  Sandpiper                        Calidris minutilla
Laughing  Gull                          Leucophaeus atricilla
Gull-billed  Tern                       Gelochelidon nilotica
Eurasian  Collared-Dove                 Streptopelia decaocto
Mourning  Dove                          Zenaida macroura
Inca  Dove                              Columbina inca
Common  Ground-Dove                     Columbina passerina
White-tipped  Dove                      Leptotila verreauxi
Greater  Roadrunner                     Geococcyx californianus
Groove-billed  Ani                      Crotophaga sulcirostris
Common  Nighthawk                       Chordeiles minor
Golden-fronted  Woodpecker              Melanerpes aurifrons
Ladder-backed  Woodpecker               Picoides scalaris
Crested  Caracara                       Caracara cheriway
Brown-crested  Flycatcher               Myiarchus tyrannulus
Great  Kiskadee                         Pitangus sulphuratus
Couch's  Kingbird                       Tyrannus couchii
Western  Kingbird                       Tyrannus verticalis
Scissor-tailed  Flycatcher              Tyrannus forficatus
Loggerhead  Shrike                      Lanius ludovicianus
White-eyed  Vireo                       Vireo griseus
Green  Jay                              Cyanocorax yncas
Horned  Lark                            Eremophila alpestris
Purple  Martin                          Progne subis
Barn  Swallow                           Hirundo rustica
Black-crested  Titmouse                 Baeolophus atricristatus
Verdin                                 Auriparus flaviceps
Bewick's  Wren                          Thryomanes bewickii
Curve-billed  Thrasher                  Toxostoma curvirostre
Long-billed  Thrasher                   Toxostoma longirostre
Northern  Mockingbird                   Mimus polyglottos
European  Starling                      Sturnus vulgaris
Olive  Sparrow                          Arremonops rufivirgatus
Lark  Sparrow                           Chondestes grammacus
Northern  Cardinal                      Cardinalis cardinalis
Pyrrhuloxia                            Cardinalis sinuatus
Blue  Grosbeak                          Passerina caerulea
Painted  Bunting                        Passerina ciris
Dickcissel                             Spiza americana
Eastern  Meadowlark                     Sturnella magna
Great-tailed  Grackle                   Quiscalus mexicanus
Brown-headed  Cowbird                   Molothrus ater
Orchard  Oriole                         Icterus spurius
Hooded  Oriole                          Icterus cucullatus
Bullock's  Oriole                       Icterus bullockii
Audubon's  Oriole                       Icterus graduacauda
Lesser  Goldfinch                       Spinus psaltria
House  Sparrow                          Passer domesticus
64 SPECIES

Mary Beth  Stowe
McAllen, TX
_www.miriameaglemon.com_ (http://www.miriameaglemon.com/)