[texbirds] Public Lands in Central Texas

  • From: Brush Freeman <brushfreeman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <Texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 20 Jun 2015 11:46:36 -0500

.
OK so I look at Ebird maps and it shows a number of big public lands east
NE of Austin...I know the story on a couple of them as being reserved park
lands which are not yet open to the public, on right on the Colorado north
of Hornsby, but now I see huge blocks of land I know nothing about...One is
at the south end of 1704 in Bastrop Co. Another property that must be
close to 1K acres is located off Blake-Manor Rd. in eastern Travis is not
shown as public lands on Ebird...It has Austin Energy signs on the gates
and years ago the houses were removed. I can not find out much about these
properties but know some of them, especially a couple with water features
could be very interesting for the naturalist.
I am curious as to how Ebird knows about these properties enough to plot
them, yet I don't. I birded eastern Travis this morning finding nothing
unusual, but did check out the 1704 property as best I could from the
highway and a few pull outs.
Brush Freeman
503-551-5150 Cell
120 N. Red Bud Trail. Elgin, Tx. 78621