[texbirds] Probable second Calliope in yard

  • From: David McDonald <dkmmdpa@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2014 06:59:31 -0500

Hi Texbirders,

My blessings never cease. After photographing my first Calliope for
the yard on 3/11, I have had one coming to the feeder daily since.

I spent some time yesterday, trying to get more photos as time goes
on, to see his gorget feathers fill out.

Here is yesterdays bird on a flower stem.

http://www.pbase.com/davidmcd/image/154935306

Notice he just has a few central feathers.

The bird on the 11th had just a single feather on the left side of his throat.

http://www.pbase.com/davidmcd/image/154810628

Yesterdays bird has no rosy feathers on the left side.

http://www.pbase.com/davidmcd/image/154935307

My wife thought she saw two different birds while we were taking the
photographs, so maybe two Calliopes!

Good birding,

David McDonald
Friendswood TX