[texbirds] Posting rarities

  • From: Anthony Hewetson <terrverts@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2013 10:59:34 -0800 (PST)

Greetings All:
As a compiler for my region and for ABA, my primary interest in seeing
rare birds posted quickly is primarily that of confirmation.

If a rare bird is seen by a single observer in my area (and is not
photographed) and I know nothing of that birder's skill level, previous
experience, or reputation confirmation is of the utmost importance to me in
terms of whether or not that sighting makes it on
to the seasonal report for the ABA.

I would guess that the e-birds procedure of requiring some details for
flagged reports is, in most cases, sufficient but nothing says confirmed
sighting to me so much as a photograph; barring a photograph I would
like to see that good old 'multiple observers' appended to the sighting,
especially if one or more of the additional observers are known
qualities.

I'm not particularly big on 'chasing' myself but when a bird is seen in my
immediate region I consider it an obligation, as regional compiler, to
try to get my eyes on the birds in question.  If the bird doesn's get
posted - I can't do that.
Anthony 'Fat Tony' Hewetson; Lubbock