[texbirds] Plenty of Chimney Swifts at Kleb Woods Nature Preserve, Tomball, TX, Sept 18

  • From: Tom Shaughnessy <greenh2o@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2012 17:20:08 -0500

A pleasant surprise last Tuesday night at dusk. We could hear them
before we even got out of the Jeep when we arrived around 6:30PM. We
heard and saw them all during our walk back around the Wetlands Trail.
As we were getting ready to leave around dusk they really started
circling around the parking lot. Chimney Swifts. That's when I knew
the show was about to begin. With the sun below the horizon to the
west we had a great observation spot.  75-100 birds easy. The show
lasted from about 7:40 till 7:50PM.

This was especially special since it was one of the Boy Scouts from
our Troop who managed the building of the tower for his Eagle Scout
project.

Tom Shaughnessy
Katy, TX