[texbirds] Planning a "big-enough" Texas big year

  • From: "Collins, Fred (Commissioner Pct. 3)" <Fred_Collins@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "1 Texbirds (texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2013 19:38:15 +0000

In case you are not a TOS member and did not get to read the article in the
Texas Bird Annual about a big-enough year this is an opportunity to learn about
a Texas big year. I will recount my last two big-enough years and help you plan
your own big year.
In 2012, 16 birders who regularly used E-Bird had 400 or more species in the
State.  Tripp Davenport was the state champ with 490 species seeing 92.45% of
the 530 species reported. With about 2 weeks left in 2013, Jon McIntyre leads
with 500 species seen which is 93.98% of 532 species reported. Jon is among
only a handful of birders to ever record 500 species within one year in Texas.
So far, 14 birders have tallied 400 or more species in the state this year.

The program will be from 10-11 am. Friday Dec 20.

Hope to see you here at Kleb tomorrow morning.

Fred Collins, Director
Kleb Woods Nature Center
20303 Draper Road,Tomball TX 77377

Harris County Precinct 3