[texbirds] Pictures from last week, Anahuac to Brazoria,

  • From: Joseph Kennedy <josephkennedy36@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 4 Texbirds Maillist <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2012 10:41:06 -0500

There were lots of birds around last Thursday. I started at Anahuac where
bobwhite's were sitting up calling and preening
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/144415736

http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/144415734

Lots of barn swallows are starting to gather while others are still nesting
at the old entrance building
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/144415733

Young birds are losing the light colored gape mark they used to aim the
parents food delivery
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/144415729

Orchard orioles are still singing
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/144415726

Killdeers nest on the new road shoulder around shoveler pond. With the
narrow shell edge, the are next to the pavement. I only saw this bird and
eggs when I looked down while scanning birds out on the water
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/144415724

A single white pelican was out on a dike
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/144415722

You can tell it is hot when the common nighthawks start standing on their
perch to allow more air flow
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/144415710

With tides very high, rails were more apparent but still well not seen out
in the vegetation like this clapper rail
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/144415707

This was the first of 3 godwit species for the day
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/144415706

Young of the year white ibis are out and about
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/144415705

This shorebird was a mystery when I saw it and I am still uncertain as to
who it is
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/144415704

Down at the godwit spot at Brazoria the breeding plumage hudsonian godwit
way back there in the drying pond
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/144415644

I thought I had an angle on the black-tailed godwit sitting behind some
vegetation but the picture turned out to be a female gadwall with the
godwit still hidden.

Young yellow-crowned night herons are out and are losing the last of their
down. This bird was on the brazoria auto tour
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/144415641

Lots of roseate spoonbills out in the shallow water in all colors
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/144415637

Some showed off their spoon
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/144415636

Fulvous whistling ducks were common but I saw no young
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/144415634

But the black-bellied whistling duck youngsters were marching around
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/144415631

The young of the year boat-tailed grackles are out of the nest and still
begging
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/144415632

Still abundant black-necked stilts including birds on eggs
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/144415627

And young that can fly
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/144415626

And in between
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/144415630

All the pictures for the day can be browsed at
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/inbox

--
Joseph C. Kennedy
on Buffalo Bayou in West Houston