[texbirds] Phoebe Slam @ Hazel Bazemore Park, Corpus Christi

  • From: Clay Taylor <Clay.Taylor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2012 14:33:38 -0500

Hi all -
This morning Corpus Frosti returned to Calallen, as there was a little frost on
the grasses in the backyard and the tops of the tomato plants turned black.

The Corpus Christi CBC is this weekend, so I went over to Hazel Bazemore County
Park to stock the feeder area next to the Hawk Watch Platform and refill the
drip.   The Green Jays and Friends were a little tardy showing up, probably due
to the cold, but the direct sunlight was warming everything up as I went down
to the ponds.

The ponds were hopping, with many Hooded Mergansers plus the regular Shovelers,
Mottled Ducks and teal, lots of American Avocets, both Yellowlegs species,
peeps and Dunlins.   I did not see the Stilt Sandpipers and the Wilson's
Phalarope that were there on Sunday before the cold front hit, nor the Roseate
Spoonbill that was there yesterday afternoon.   Hope they come back for
Saturday.....

The local immature female Northern Harrier was teed-up by the hedgerow, so I
stopped to digiscope her, and as I was doing that a Say's Phoebe flew by and
landed in the brushtops near the big pond.   With Eastern Phoebes omnipresent
at Hazel, that left finding the Black Phoebe to complete the Phoebe Slam!

My last few visits to the East end of the park to find the Black Phoebe had
been unsuccessful, and I was really hoping that it would hang in there until
Count Day.   The big diesel pump was running today, but the noise was not too
bad, so I listened for BP noises from across the Nueces River, where it likes
to hang out.   Within a few minutes I heard it, but not across the river - it
was to the LEFT of the road in the weedy area encircled by the road!   I hopped
in the car to try for a few pictures, but it flew to the river's edge, then
across the river to its usual area.

Very cool - now y'all had better be there on Saturday for the CBC!!!!

Clay Taylor
TOS Life Member
Calallen (Corpus Christi),  TX
Clay.taylor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:Clay.taylor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>