[texbirds] Paradise Pond, Port A Update

  • From: Cecilia-home <criley02@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Texbirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Sep 2015 19:58:53 -0700

Several folks contacted me and my sister Joan Holt about this weeks tree
clearing on the backside of the Joan and Scott Holt Paradise Pond Sanctuary in
Port Aransas. As it turns out, the local electric utility company was doing
regular trimming within their utility line easement. Joan and Scott Holt have
been on top of this and asked me to share the info below with you all.

Scott talked with the city manager David Parsons who went out to PP along
with Parks and Rec Director David Hyde and worked with the electric line
personal cutting the right of way. They asked that the willows not be cut,
only pepper trees. They were cooperative but most all of the vegetation was
thick, entangled pepper trees. The city manager is willing to plant willows
in the cut areas behind or in front of the right away.
You may remember this happened before about 10 or 12 years ago, so it can
recover quickly.
I'll go back or and look at it tomorrow. A developer is going to build Apts
behind PP and he has been talking with Scott about how to do so without
harming the birding and photography experiences at PP.

Cecilia M Riley
Lake Jackson, TX
Currently reporting from Madera Canyon, AZ
Criley02@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Life is better with birds!