[texbirds] Panhandle Baird's Sparrow

  • From: Heidi Trudell <heidi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 11 May 2013 12:30:44 -0500

Wish I'd known sooner - would have chased it while I was up there!
Apparently this note was sent to me on Wednesday, it's from a Monday
sighting, so unfortunately it's nearly a week old report by now, from Andy
Bankert:
Can you post somewhere that I heard a Baird's Sparrow song northwest of
Sanford, TX (just north of Lake Meredith) on Monday? Sorry for the
lateness. It was in the southeastern part of the field west of Rd 687 and
north of Rd 3395. I just heard it, but was unable to get visual
confirmation. I heard it several times while I was surveying at a point
about 50 meters away, but I only heard it once after my point was done and
I could not find it despite searching a little bit. There are a lot of
Grasshopper Sparrows in the field. I have heard them singing during
migration in mid-late May in Nebraska, so the timing sort of makes sense on
this dude. I don't know the status in Texas, but I am pretty sure they are
rare (or at least not detected much) in the panhandle.

***

Happy trails,
-h

Heidi Trudell
Marathon, TX

--

Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities. -
Mark Twain