[texbirds] Painted Redstart, Long-tailed Duck and other birds continue at Aransas

  • From: David True <davidttrue@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2013 10:35:58 -0500

The Painted Redstart is still in the trees near the visitor center at Aransas
NWR.  Also the two Long-tailed Ducks are mixing with Horned Grebes near the
fishing pier section of the refuge.

Other birds of interest:

Canada Goose - one bird mixing with a large flock of pintails and redheads in
San Antonio Bay near the Observation Tower.

Dark-eyed Junco - near parking area by Dagger Point (observed by Ron Weeks and
Petra Hockey-great find!)

Baltimore Oriole - hanging in same location as the painted redstart

Black Scoter - still a group distantly observable from the Dagger Point area

Spotted Towhee - several being found along the Heron Flats Trail and other
brushy spots scattered along ther refuge drive

Red-headed Woodpecker - pops up intermittently by front gate - young bird
starting to acquire a full red head

Indigo Bunting - immature bird along Heron Flats Trail

Whooping Crane - two being observed at Heron Flats Trail and two at the
Observation Tower

Please be on the lookout for raptors and sparrows; there is good potential here
for any of these species in the coming months.

Just a reminder, our Christmas Bird Count will be held on Wednesday, December
18 starting at 6:00 am.  If anyone is interested please let me know by sending
an email or calling me at the following number: 361-286-3559 ext. 232.

David True

Park Ranger

Aransas NWR

1 Wildlife Circle