[texbirds] Painted Bunting - Bear Creek Park, Harris County

  • From: "Faria, Eric W" <Eric.W.Faria@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TexBirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 11 Aug 2013 11:36:38 -0500

Saw a nice male along Langham creek near Clay Road in the picnic area.  First
time I've seen a Painted Bunting at this park.  Was searching for Louisiana
Waterthrush but did not find one.
Did see a few Blue-gray gnatcatchers on Equestrian trail and heard a Barred owl.

Thought I saw a Merlin perched high on dead tree near creek in picnic area.
Only had binoculars and had poor back lighting but my best guess is Merlin.  I
looked on ebird for this park and it appears this may be a little early for
Merlins here?  Anyone know if this is too early for Merlins here?

Eric Faria
Houston, TX