[texbirds] PEARLAND RAPTORS TODAY

  • From: Mira M Pellerin <mirampellerin@xxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2013 18:05:07 -0500 (EST)

While driving down Pearland Parkway and Magnolia Drive at 9 AM, I counted four
Red-tailed Hawks, two Osprey, and two Red- Shouldered Hawks.  All of them,
except for the two Osprey, were perched on street lamps along side the roads.

When I went out at 10 AM to ride my trike, I saw a kettle of Turkey Vultures
ascending from trees on the east side of my neighborhood. They circled up to
about 300 feet, then peeled off towards the south in groups of two to five for
a total of about 40 birds. It made for a better ride, as I was pretty cold
after riding against the north wind for a couple of miles at  that time. I am
used to seeing large number of Black Vultures during the winter here, but these
were definitely TVs, as they soared away.

Mira M. Pellerin