[texbirds] PEARLAND: JUVENILE DOWNY WP IN MY YARD

  • From: Mira M Pellerin <mirampellerin@xxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2013 20:05:56 -0400 (EDT)

The weather was so nice this afternoon that I took a pair of big clippers after
stray elm and tallow trees growing along my back fence.  While there, I kept
hearing a weak call that sounded like a Downy WP calling. After finishing the
clipping job, I began to search for the source, and found it almost
immediately, when an adult male Downy WP flew into a large tallow tree in my
neighbor's backyard,  which was hanging over the fence.  I watched the bird
poke something down the throat of a fuzzy-headed youngster, then fly off again.
 The little guy was not satisfied, and immediately began to call again.  Papa
was busy inspecting the trunk of the tree, and ignored it for awhile.  This is
the fourth year in a row that I have seen adult Downys feeding babies in my
neighborhood.

Mira M. Pellerin
Pearland